INVESTING IN THE FUND… A simple, affordable and effective way for individuals to build a healthier local economy and community
The heart of our work is to offer community-minded investors a practical way to help their neighbors and communities and promote economic justice. Individuals, faith-based and civic organizations, foundations, trusts, financial institutions and other businesses invest through loans to the Community Loan Fund, creating a lending capital pool so, in turn, low-cost flexible loans can be made to those who are unable to access conventional credit. In this way, the Community Loan Fund provides an opportunity for individuals and organizations to participate as part of a lasting solution to poverty.
The Community Loan Fund offers the investor an opportunity to:
- Be part of the solution to existing problems by pooling money with other community-minded individuals and organizations to make a significant impact
- Invest locally, in a socially responsible way and see tangible results
- Provide affordable housing, decent jobs and quality social services
- Help build the capacity of individuals and community-based non-profit organizations
- Act on religious, political or philosophical convictions, aligning your money with your values
- See your funds used again and again creating a renewable resource for our community
- Earn social and economic dividends
Who benefits from my investment?
EVERYONE! Capital is essential to developing and maintaining healthy communities. Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and community nonprofits provide vital services, frequently filling in the gaps in low-income populations and neighborhoods. Since 1985, the Community Loan Fund has served as a unique resource to the entire Capital Region:
- Lending capital for vital affordable housing, and community and economic development projects
- Expanding access to capital and filling credit voids in low income urban and rural areas
- Encouraging economic self-reliance and offering financial technical support
- Providing a link between socially concerned investors and communities in need
- Benefiting low-income people and neighborhoods and special needs populations
What are the results?
With a small—albeit determined—staff and over 500 donors, investors and volunteers, the Community Loan Fund has:
- Closed over 700 loans to nonprofits, social and micro-enterprises totaling more than $36 million
- Created more than 1,075 affordable housing units
- Created or retained close to 1,500 jobs
- Leveraged more than $155 million in local community and economic development
- Provided training and technical assistance to thousands of micro and social entrepreneurs.
Just think of what we can do with your help!
How can I particpate and customize my investment?
- You choose your investment terms:* Amount: $1,000 to $500,000* Term: 1 to 20 years* Rate: zero to 1.75% fixed rate, depending on the chosen term length. Interest is paid annually at year-end. The lower the interest rate and the longer the term, the more we can meet the community’s needs.
- You (the lender) and your Community Loan Fund (the borrower) sign a simple Loan Agreement that spells out the investment terms you have chosen. When the investment is made, you will receive our Promissory Note, the Community Loan Fund’s promise to repay you according to those terms.
- When the maturity date (the end of the term) nears, we will contact you to offer you the opportunity to renew your investment in the community, change the investment terms or receive repayment.
We have a 100% repayment record to investors!
Will my money be safe?
- The Fund has had a twenty-five-year record of accomplishments with timely repayments to investors resulting in a 100% perfect repayment rate to all its lenders, since 1985.
- All investors share any risk but our cumulative loan loss rate is less than 2%.
- Borrowers are supported with ongoing training and technical assistance.
- The Fund carefully evaluates each loan application and business plan and makes loans that are socially worthwhile and financially sound.
- The Community Loan Fund is a member of the Opportunity Finance Network, which sets standards and best practices for member organizations.
- The Community Loan Fund is certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution.
For more information or to get started, contact Linda Chandler at (518) 436-8586 or email@example.com