The Woman’s Club of Albany is updating its historic clubhouse on Madison Avenue – with help from the Community Loan Fund. The Woman’s Club is closing on a $148,500 line of credit to install ramp, update electrical systems, and renovate the front entrance.
“The construction is supported in part by the NYS Department of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation; however, the Woman’s Club must complete the work and then seek reimbursement. Without the Community Loan Fund, we would not have the available funds to pay construction costs up front,” says Deborah Kaminski, Treasurer for the Woman’s Club. “The Community Loan Fund has been very responsive and helpful in guiding us through the application process. They have been flexible and worked with us to meet our construction deadlines.”
Founded in 1910, The Woman’s Club of Albany (WCA) is one of the oldest not-for-profit community organizations in the Capital Region. Its founders were instrumental in initiating a number of civic services still in place today, such as city-wide garbage collection, fire protection programs, and mandatory meat and milk inspections. Also active in promoting cultural activities, the WCA presented lectures on a wide range of topics and held classes in art and languages.
The vision established by the early members has withstood the test of time; indeed, the Club’s mission is “to provide a center where Capital District women can pool their time, expertise and energy in activities which support the well-being and cultural enrichment of women and children in the region. The club serves as a magnet for women of diverse backgrounds to lead and participate in community projects while enjoying camaraderie with fellow members.
The club includes a parlor, dining room, and ballroom. The club is available to rent for special occasions.